Monday, February 05, 2007

Left My Heart in Singapore

it's time to go soon...

it's time to face to music and dance... but, let me say this...I will forever miss Singapore....say what you will for it being antiseptic, boring, predictable, the asian country equivalent of a golf course... the comments, of course, true.. but I don't care.... I wouldn't mind living next to a golf course, thats for one.... a list of things I will miss:

1. strolling home from work at nights.. and just walk wherever I want, whenever I want...without ever having to think of my safety.......just walking.... and feeling free to explore nooks and cranny without ever having to pre-think if this part town is safe to go to...
2. a combination of culture.. singapore is the equivalent of a mini park... go one mile.. china town, the other mile... little india... another mile.. geylang serai... everything in one country...different people, different culture, blended together with it's own distinctive personality
3. I never, ever feel like a foreigner in Singapore... at any time of the day you will find a chinese, Indian, malay, and europeans walking on the street..
4. the air... breathing freely in and out... no funky smell... not having to wipe your face with a wet towel everytime you come inside the house to wipe all the grime.. not having to sweep the floor every day for dust
5. and of course... food... I can't get enough of the food here...I'm sure Indonesia also has such varieties, but I've yet to find them...they just seem to blur into such predictable varieties...
and you have to spend so much just to find a place to hang out...whereas... the kopi stall next door in singapore is nice enough to hang out in... and have decent pratas to boot...

literally and figuratively, I left my heart in Singapore... in time... maybe.. my heart will follow me back to Indonesia..but for the time being... I may just have to manage without one....

bluecactus, will you ever think of coming back to Indonesia for good?

5 comments:

Mrs. Blue Cactus said...

Funny you should ask.
Lately, I think of it almost daily.
If I may... since you have no baggage anyway, why not try to find another job there?

Wilson said...

hmmmm....

see...we're connected in some spiritual psychic thing...must be the kindred spirit network..:-)

baggage is there bluecactus...
...I've a contract obligation to fulfil.. but then again, we'll see...

what was your thought, btw?

Mrs. Blue Cactus said...

I'm open for going back home for good. But I'm not sure if that's because I've been away too long & I miss my family or if I truly want to go back.
But if you can, finish up your contract then go back and work in Singapore.
My philosophy is, if I love something that much, I'm gonna go and get it. In my world, there's no such thing as 'if you really love something, you've got to set it free'.
C'mon... that's total bollocks. :)

Wilson said...

I agree...

the heart thing, well....actually, you never really miss a country THAT badly...:-) a little melodramatic, I suppose...it may not be about the country itself..could be about somebody living IN the country..

which makes your statement, even more relevant..

Mrs. Blue Cactus said...

Ah,... now we're talking.